Sunday, November 8, 2020

Pre-COVID

 Ah, 2020. Do you remember how cool we thought it was that we were going to be alive to possibly relive the rolling '20s? This year started out great! I rang in the new year at the Long Beach Aquarium surrounded by my Quesada cousins who I hadn't seen in forever. There were trips planned: a visit to Portugal with my friend Natalie, and a family trip to Toronto to see where the Blue Jays play paired with a visit to upper-state New York to visit church history sites. Then, the second week in March hit, and the world effectively "shut down." We complied with stay at home orders and quarantined—no Disneyland, no Church services, no Immigration Courts, no weekends at the movies. 

I still remember my "lasts." Last movie I saw in theaters: Onward (which, for the record was super great, but I had actually planned to skip out on this one; however, when I saw the writing on the wall that movie theaters would be closing I thought, "I have to see one more film at a cinema!"). Last day I went to Disneyland: March 13th with my cousin Xochitl and her family (this also happened to be the last day Disneyland was open). Last Sunday at church: March 8th (I remember staying late and playing the piano for the ward choir as preparation for a musical number that would be taking place the following Sunday). Lots of lasts!

In many ways, I've been grateful for quarantine. About three months into the COVID-19 shutdowns I made a list of blessings I had received in many respects due to the pandemic. This post is a reminder that 2020 started out like any other year. This post is a snapshot of my life pre-COVID 19

^^I bought a Rosca de Reyes at a Northgate in Santa Ana to celebrate Día de Los Reyes Magos with my coworkers

Our family really loves the Disney after Dark events. We went to '80s night with my cousin Magos and her family earlier in the year. We also turned the outing into an unofficial birthday celebration for Devin at Cafe Orleans. 
^^Ezra and I planned matching TRON outfits for '80s night
^^(L) ran into my friend Carolina at a fireside for Spanish-speakers featuring Sis. Reyna I. Aburto of the Relief Society General Presidency (R) Neri & I eating the most expensive breakfast of our lives at Storyteller's Cafe at the Grand Californian hotel
^^The Valentines treats I gave out to my coworkers earlier this year. Cute little toy llamas--I had to!
^^Nat came to visit one weekend in February from the UK and had a gathering of friends
President's Day weekend my family decided in a very impromptu manner to go camping at Death Valley National Park. We're big Star Wars nerds, and so we were really excited by the prospect of seeing some of the filming locations for A New Hope. Ezra said I messed up though, because I hadn't downloaded Star Wars soundtracks for the trip. 
^^My homie Ian & I took pictures one Sunday when he wore the tie I had given him for his birthday in 2019. Coincidentally, this was the last Sunday we had in-person church
^^Jeniffer, one of my besties from high school, was supposed to get married in April. We celebrated her with a bridal shower a few weeks before the shutdown. Her wedding has since been postponed until next year, but I still remember getting teary eyed at her bridal shower hearing her speech thanking everyone who had come
Lastly, photos taken from literally the LAST day Disneyland was open. It was so empty that Friday and slightly rainy. I still remember thinking, "we'll be back soon enough." We even talked about meeting up with my cousin and her fam again in late July. Here we are, eight months later, still no Disneyland. :'(

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a lovely little letter.