Sunday, February 24, 2013

THE BEST WEEK!


Everyday this week something worth writing about happened, mostly bueno things. I can think of no better way than to just lay out my week day by day. :)
Monday: We had dinner with the Carrascos, Hna Carrasco is definitely one of my favorite women in the ward, she is so sweet, and her cooking reminds me  my Mom's! Well, Hna and I had been planning a family home evening for the longest time with her and her daughter-in-law. She had been wanting us to come over because she thought her daughter-in-law would confide more in us than in the Elders. After our delicious dinner, Hna Carrasco invited her daughter-in-law to sit on what was originally going to be a quick message, but we seized the opportunity and started teaching her the plan of Salvation. The spirit in that lesson was so strong. Tears were shed, and I could feel the love in the family growing stronger just in the time that we were there. We were able to schedule a return appointment, but unfortunately she lives in the Elders area. :( We were kind of sad because of that. I was so happy for Alicia (Hna Carrasco's daughter-in-law), but it just felt like we were givin everyone away. I know, selfish way of thinking.
Tuesday: Lost an investigator. Remember how I mentioned Roxy T. The younger sister of a less active, well, this less active went on an anti-momon rage. It was a little comical, not going to lie. My personal favorite line was, "I want out." My thought process: "But, you were never really in..." She said that she felt betrayed that she looked up the history of the church and that she wanted nothing more to do with it. I felt so sad for her, I asked her, "Did this decision make you happy?" She said she felt free, that she had felt confused, but now her mind was clear. I just can't seem to really understand it, because this less active had not been to church in over a year, so I can't really understand how you would want "out" of something you weren't really a part of... Quien sabe.
Wednesday: Had Dinner with La Familia Salas. I called to confirm dinner in the morning, and Hna was surprised. She said, Hnas I think I accidentally signed up to feed you instead of the Elders, but I'd love to have you over. Later that evening we went and Hna said that our phone call this morning was a tender mercy from God. She said, "Hnas sometimes I hesitate to sign up for the dinner calendar because the Elders can't come in, and I feel bad having them sit outside. When you called 'me dio tanto gusto.' I got so happy. Just this Sunday my daughter told me she wants to serve a mission and I know that God sent you here because of that." <3 That made me so happy, and dinner was super delicious.
Thursday: Valentines Day! We got some great member referrals and called Hna Gonzalez to see if she could come with us to an appointment. The appointment fell through, but Hna had given her sister as a referral, so we decided to go contact her with her sister. best. decision. ever. It was such a good lesson, Hna was able to bear her strong, sincere testimony about how the gospel has changed her life. So not only did we have a member present at our lesson, we found a new investigator! Hna Tonga and I were filled with such love after that lesson that I said, "Hna. Do you want to go to Dairy Queen?" & then the idea popped into my head, "Hna, we should buy some for the Elders, a litle Valentines day present."
We pulled into Dairy Queen and as I was parking I said, "Wouldn't it be funny if the Elders saw us?" (We were in their area) We ordered our Oreo Cheesequake blizzards and I texted the Elders asking them to tell us when they got home. They texted us saying they'd be home in like 10 mins. When we went outside out of the corner of my eye I saw a Chevy Malibu, with a bike rack, aka ELDERS! I started walking to the door when from the side of the car out popped Elder Hatch and Elder Conan. Elder Hatch yelled: "YOU SINNERS! DAIRY QUEEN?" Hna Tonga and I both jumped, Hna Tonga screamed. And then while we were fighting our laughter I said, "We came to buy you ice cream!" & Elder Hatch in his typical high pitched voice yelled, "Heck Yeah!" It was too funny, and the cherry on top to a really great night.
Friday: District meeting. typical. But district lunch, atypical. No one fomr the English speaking district had bikes aka transportation or money. So us and the zone leaders drove to Mc Donalds and loaded up on things from the dollar menu and fed the English Elders, kind of like the fish and loaves of bread. just kidding.  Also, we went to visit Veronica! She's so busy now because she's in school learning to speak English. It warmed my heart though to see her especially because she asked us for help with teaching her husband. So we role played with her. And Veronica, took the plan of Salvation pamphlet, used scriptures, and taught us. It was one of the happiest moments thus far on my mission.
Saturday: We had a lesson with Julia C. where she finally realized that in order to know if the Book of Mormon is true or not, she's going to have to read it more, and so she said: "I think I'm goin to read the Book of Mormon before I start my Bible reading, because after that I'm so tired." Yes. Thank you Julia! Also, for dinner Hna Tonga and I went to Subway! But, afterwards went to go visit a less active and she fed us. We were forced to eat. Double dinners do not make my tummy happy. Later that night Hna Tonga and I got a surprise phone call from Elder Ho Ching. He was transferred to another area, but he called us to tell us that he had been thinking about us because he had gone to Subway that day. :) great tummies think alike?
Sunday: The Toscanos came to Church! We had a regional conference broadcast from Salt Lake. President Eyring, Elder Scott, Elder Piper of the 70 and Sister Stevens of the Primary Presidency spoke to us. After church we went to visit a woman named Carmen, a less active of one of the English wards, who we've been helping to declutter her house. Her Husband was there and he speaks Spanish, so we taught them both, and found another new investigator! I loved our lesson and Carmen's husband Eduardo shared something I had never thought of he said, "I know there's a God. Because if there wasn't we wouldn't feel bad when we did somethin wrong."
Most hilarious part of Sunday though was when Eduardo said to my companion, "You're Hawaiian right? I met a Hawaiian!" My companion and I were thinking, it's probably some fake Hawaiian. But then he showed us the man's name. We asked where the man lived, and then went to pay him a visit. He was definitely Hawaiian, and Hna Tonga had crazy connections to him #polyproblems. We couldn't believe that hidden in Pasadena there was a Hawaiian man who she was six degrees from seperation connected to. :)
I know this was a massive email, but it really was such a wonderful week! I love you all!
Con Todo Mi Amor,
Hna Flores


Valentines day gifts!

Dairy Queen! With Elder Conan and Elder Hatch.
The Cake the Toscanos made for us. :)
McDonalds on the Spanish Speaking District.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a lovely little letter.