Friday, August 23, 2013

Hna Post y Hna Flores growing up in Pecan Park.
1. 10 person lesson. Teaching a 7th day Adventist fam about the restoration.
2. Our successful, "Al otro lado del cielo" ward activity.
3. Listening to the relief society practice singing, "A child's prayer."
4. Getting bit by an ant and having my foot swell up, then soaking it in apple cider vinegar = house smelling FOR DAYS.
5. ZLs asking me to make a program for their bautismo, printing BUT not having a dollar bill --> getting copies for free.
6. Mosiah 2:41 Hna Post's fav scripture. 
7. Figuring out whether we're teaching how to count, algebra, or calculus to investigators. 
8. STL roadtrips to kingwood. 
9. "I Hate that you're always right."
10. Checking with E. Sully
11. Finding Ashley
12. Impromptu batismal musical number.
13. Making plans for the movie we're going to make one day. 
14. "Hey! We're having a conversation!"
15. Mini missionary sleepover. 

(It's weird that this list is so tiny, when I've been with Hna Post the longest! But, we were too busy to note things down! life was crazy.)

I've learned that the best way to look at my mission is through God's perspective--an eternal perspective. I served for 4 transfers (about 6 months) in Pasadena and now 4 transfers in Pecan Park. I'm being transferred! I have no idea what's going on. Hna Post and I made an executive decision to not answer any "transfer texts" or phone calls. This much I know, wherever I am sent is where my Heavenly Father needs me to be. 

Pecan Park has been a training ground for me. These have been the hardest 4 transfers yet, but I've also felt a greater happiness, gained a greater capacity to love, had a greater amount of patience, and been given a greater portion of humility. I was studying a talk earlier this week, "Humility is Empowerment." There was a simple sentence that was shared, "Humility and gratitude are the twin characteristics of happiness." I know this to be true. When I recognize my weaknesses, admit that I have been lacking humility, then I receive strength, I receive revelation. Humility is the essence of Godly power. I found this scripture this week, D&C 136:31-33.

31 My people must be tried in all things, that they may be prepared to receive the glory that I have for them, even the glory of Zion; and he that will not bear chastisement is not worthy of my kingdom.
32 Let him that is ignorant learn wisdom by humbling himself and calling upon the Lord his God, that his eyes may be opened that he may see, and his ears opened that he may hear;
33 For my Spirit is sent forth into the world to enlighten the humble and contrite, and to the condemnation of the ungodly. 

I am praying constantly for humility--praying so that I can have the spirit that is so essential to missionary work. This is not just something that is unique to missionary work; It will benefit me for the rest of my life. We are taught as missionaries to always leave our areas better than we found them. I can say that I have done that. I cleaned out and organized our area book, met EVERY member in our area, visited Less Actives that hadn't been visited in Years, left a baptism prepared for next weekend, and two more amazing GOLDEN investigators. Yesterday at church was the best farewell I could have imagined. Hna Post pointed out, "Hna, so many people that were at church today wouldn't have been there without your influence." Anna G, Maria M, Maria R, Byron, Rocio C, Rocio's brother and wife (they attended the English ward!). My heart was so full. But, I'm reminded of a scripture from the Book of Mormon and I echo Ammon's words:

11 ...I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my god.
12 Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever. 

I am sad to be leaving the people I have grown to love, but I know I'm leaving them in good hands! 

Ashley: We had left her with Alma 32 to read and she circled v. 17, 18, 21, 26. We began the lesson asking the first two baptismal interview questions. We are trying to help Ashley gain a testimony of the LDM, and Joseph Smith being a prophet. I told Ashley, "Our Logic isn't God's logic" and shared Isaiah 55: 8-9, and John 5: 32, 34, and 39. Mormon messages are our new best friends and we shared with Ashley, "Waiting on the Road to Damascus." She knows it's true, she just needs to recognize that she knows!

Byron: Totally getting baptized this weekend. I love teaching him! We teach him in member's homes, and it has been the greatest experience ever. We had dinner last night with him at the Zamora's home and taught the last lesson on fasting. Byron is so ready to make the changes in his life! Also, just a plug for lessons at member homes, found this quote from this April's GC. 

As you center your home on the Savior, it will naturally become a refuge not only to your own family but also to friends who live in more difficult circumstances. They will be drawn to the serenity they feel there. Welcome such friends into your home. They will blossom in that Christ-centered environment. Become friends with your children's friends. Be a worthy example to them.
  One of the greatest blessings we can offer to the world is the power of a Christ-centered home where the gospel is taught, covenants are kept, and love abounds. -- E. Richard G. Scott

Invite non-members to your home! That is my plea as a missionary. 

Maria: Loves church. We just had a lesson with her. Slipped in a lesson on Pday shhh! She has felt the spirit, seen the changes in her life. She came to church wearing a skirt I gave her! It's a skirt I bought but had never worn, it fit her perfectly. I'm so sure, I bought it just for her. Maria is a golden investigator. Her daughters are constantly sharing their budding testimonies with their father. Maria believes that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, she believes in the Book of Mormon. We just need now for her to be married, so that she can be baptized and receive all the blessings of the atonement.

Juana: Such a sweet woman. She learns slowly, but she invited us for lunch at her home and made flautas. They were delicious! We taught her prayer, she cried when she told us about how she felt so honored that we were eating with her because for her it was as if, "el santisimo" (Jesus Christ was eating with her. :) <3

I feel so blessed. I have loved everything about this area! And as if all this week's happenings weren't enough, Heavenly Father slipped in two more surprises. 
1. I got to see my trainer! I almost had a heart attack! Oh it was so good to see her. I wish I could have had more time to just talk to her. More time, that seems to be what I need on the mission. always.
2. I got a second letter from my friend from high school. When E. Golden came, I got a letter from a high school friend who said she wanted to learn more about my church. I got a second letter this Tuesday. I had Hna Post read it to me while we were driving home, and almost lost it. I kept saying out loud, "SHUT UP! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!" My amiga, met with missionaries! She met with missionaries, and I got an email from her today saying that she went to church yesterday, and was invited to be baptized. My heart is so full I don't know what to do.

Pecan Park has been so good to me! I can't wait to see what adventures/experiences I'll have in this next area!
I love missionary work.
I love the gospel.
I love all of "y'all."

Hnita Flores


Maria & Hna Pamatz. Mom, the dress I am wearing is a gift from a member. :) You always seem to notice if I'm wearing new clothes. 
The district in front of the famous Broadway, "Dios es Amor" sign. Missing E. Erickson, he got called to be AP!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a lovely little letter.