Wednesday, December 19, 2018

The essay that got me into BYU...

Earlier this month, I was helping my youngest brother with his college applications when I had the distinct impression to hunt down the essay I wrote for my college applications. I powered on our old iMac G3 desktop, found my essay, and read it for the first time in 11+ years. What struck me the most were the similarities between this essay and the themes in my Law School graduation address. You'll notice I write about Compton, Immigrants, Education, my Mexican heritage, my parents, and even quote César Chavez. I'm nothing if consistent. Though so much time has passed, I remain true to my roots, and true to my inner soul.

I leave the essay here for your reading pleasure. I've left grammatical errors and such in place because I find them particularly endearing. Here are the words of 17-year-old Lauren, a girl eager to get into BYU and make her mark on the world. 
I was born and raised in one of the most notorious cities in all of the United States—Compton, California. Whenever I introduce myself as being a Latina from Compton, people are astonished and surprised for there is no hint of the wicked influence of the streets of Compton in my speech, appearance, or personality. I owe this to my two loving parents who taught me to be in the world, but not of the world; and my Mexican heritage, which taught me that anything is possible.

Everywhere in Compton there are reminders that the city is filled with gangs, homicide, and iniquity. Both my grandfather and father were shot in this city I call my hometown however, I have been taught to focus on the positive aspects of life instead of dwelling on the negative.

My mother truly took it upon herself to help me develop my talents in the hopes that I would aspire and rise to new heights. As a young child I was always banging the keys on the piano and singing at the top of my lungs, as a result of my early display of musical talents, my mother had me audition for the International Children's Choir of Long Beach.

Each member of the choir is asked to dress in the traditional apparel of a particular country, and sing songs for world peace. I have been a member of the choir for eleven years now, and have represented the countries of Ecuador and Tonga. Through my involvement in this choir I have been able to not only perform nationwide, but worldwide as well, in places such as Hungary, Czechoslovakia, and Vienna.

Some may think that because I have visited these cities in Europe that I am wealthy or well off. However, I had to save money, and fundraise for months in order to pay for the expenses of such trips. These trips have allowed me a glimpse of the world outside the United States, and a better understanding of humanity.

Currently, there is only a small percentage of Latinos in college. Both my parents attended college, and their example has helped me realize just how valuable education is. Most Latinos tend to shy away from universities because they believe that they cannot make it. In Mexico there is a phrase that always inspires the minds of countless people, "si se puede", or, "it can be done". Whenever someone has placed a restriction on my success, or has told me that what I am trying to accomplish is impossible, I simply think to myself "si se puede", and remember all those leaders like Cesar Chavez, who have tried to help my culture gain rights and civil liberties. This determination has brought me to where I am today, and continues to motivate me for the future.

Although there is a negative connotation associated with those from Compton, I wish to break the stereotypical barriers and prove to others that the citizen does not necessarily reflect the city.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a lovely little letter.