Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Give me Mountains to Climb.

The gospel is true right? Then what else even matters!? That has been Hna St. John and I's motto this week. We have just been feeling like we can conquer any challenge this week. Last night I was searching for a scripture in D&C to share with Hna St. John that I felt just described everything we had experienced this week.
D&C 58:2-4
 "For verily I say unto you, blessed is he that keepeth my commandments, whether in life or in death; and he that is faithful in tribulation, the reward of the same is greater in the kingdom of heaven.
Ye cannot behold with your natural eyes, for the present time, the design of your God concerning those things which shall come hereafter, and the glory which shall follow after much tribulation.
For after much tribulation come the blessings. Wherefore the day cometh that ye shall be crowned with much glory; the hour is not yet, but is nigh at hand."
I was sick this week.
flu.
I slept ALL day Wednesday and literally ate nothing for a day and then some. It's been interesting trying to get my apettite back. I felt so bad for Hna St. John, it's the worst being the only one awake in an apartment.
It seemed like everything fell through this week, everyone canceled. Everyone except for this couple, we'll call them the Valdez. We found them through our Area Book, they were a potential. We had a lesson Saturday evening and unfortuantely didn't have a member with us. The WORST. We were finishing up the Plan of Salvation when the husband asked us, "Could you teach us but without using the Book of Mormon?" It didn't exactly get hostile, but he can't believe in the Book of Mormon because there is no concrete evidence to show that it is true. He told us the reason he can believe in the Bible is because even someone who doesn't believe in Jesus Christ can't deny that the places mentioned in the bibles exist, that the events mentioned in the Bible can be proven. I asked him, "so you believe in the bible because it mentions places that can be found on a map?" He affirmed. It was tough because he was attacking the validity of the Book of Mormon, and while there were two missionaries sitting on the couch, only one was Mexican and fluent in Spanish, so every comment felt like a personal attack.
In the beginning of my mission I would feel so angry, alone, and cheated. But, in reality it was a humbling experience. I cried afterwards. Hna St. John cried because she felt so bad that she couldn't speak Spanish, that she couldn't back me up. I explained to her though, "Hna. Heavenly Father knows us! Heavenly Father doesn't make mistakes. That was a trial we both had to go through. The test is how we face it."
We could have faced this trial by being mad. We could have complained. Why don't I know Spanish? Why do I keep having companions that are brand spanking new? Why? Why? Why? But where's the good in that? Every trial is for our good. We have something to learn from every experience. I know this to be true. I know that we have been charged with a task that is seemingly impossible, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven in perfect." Perfection doesn't mean you don't have weaknesses, perfection means you don't give in to the weaknesses.
I love my companion. I've been reflecting and I feel like I've reached a point in my mission where I could be assigned to ANY area with ANY companion and I'd be happy. We were all called by a prophet of God, right? Then missionary work is possible anywhere with anyone. :] Back to loving my companion, we've started a new bonding activity. Nightly bedtime stories. The book? My journal. I have a journal from right before my mission. It's literally Hna St.John's favorite novels. She gives it five stars, 2 thumbs up. Take your pick. It's the best thing ever. We're kind of getting towards the end, she suggests that I ask you Mom to send some more of my journals. Ha! We'll see. & Mom, I told her how you've been nagging me to write a novel for some time. :] Maybe I'll just publish my journals.
I love life.
I love Tejas.
Te amos all around!
Hna Flores

MLC was this week. Hna Van Leeuwen, Me, and Hna Canova at the mission home!
On Friday We both got Tons of goodies! It was like Christmas for Halloween! Mother thank you for all the Trader Joe's pumpkin goodness.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a lovely little letter.