Thursday, October 10, 2013

Last #ldsconf as a missionary.

I don't know how to convey in words the feelings that stirred in my heart as I watched conference this weekend. There were emotions of joy knowing that somewhere in the conference center my family was sitting and watching the exact same things I was. There were emotions of sadness as the realization sunk in that it would be my last general conference viewed as a full time missionary. There was emotions of faith and hope fortified as I heard the testimonies speak of our eternal purposes.
Throughout my mission I've been penning a list. A list for the future. A list of things I want to make sure are absolutes when I go home. It was such a rich experience to add to the list to receive revelation through general conference of things to do with my current and future family. I loved the emphasis placed on teaching children and youth the need to observe covenants. Scripture reading and family prayer are musts in my future home, and I thought of how when I have a child that turns 8 I want to present him.her with a beautiful genuine leather quad and teach the principles of revelation through scripture study and the art of marking scriptures. I thought of how when a child turns 12 I want as part of the celebration to go to the temple with family to do baptisms for deceased ancestors. To put it simply, I want to make sure that spiritual experiences are abundant in my home.
This week I read a talk entitled, "Spirituality" by Elder Dallin H. Oaks he speaks of viewing life through a spiritual lense and not letting insignificant, temporal things deviate us from our eternal course. He defines spirituality by saying, "As we draw farther from worldiness, we feel closer to our Father in Heaven and more able to be guided by his Spirit. We call this quality of life spirituality." Later he says, "We seek spirituality through faith, repentance, and baptism; through forgiveness of one another; through fasting and prayer; through righteous desires and pure thougts and actions. We seek spirituality through service to our fellowmen; through worship; through feasting on the word of God, in the scriptures and the teachings of the living prophets. We attain spirituality through making and keeping covenants, through conscientiously trying to keep all the commandments of God. Spirituality is not acquired suddenly. It is the consequence of a succession of right choices. It is the harvest of a righteous life."
I love that.
My goal is that after the mission I continue in the achievement of spirituality. How awful would it be if the best, most spiritual years of my life were 22-23. I refuse!
In other news, my new companion is Hna St. John, or San Juan. :) She is from Bountiful, UT and just got done being trained by Hna Arcila. Hna St. John have similar interests, likes, and dislikes. Hna St. John just turned 20, and she is a stalwart. I admire her so much. Her mother passed away from cancer just 7 months ago, being her companion has definitely helped me to have a newfound appreciation for the term gratitude. Our first week wasn't the most successful teaching-wise, but we have already had so many spiritual experiences together, I am so excited for this companionship! I have so much to learn from Hna St. John. I know that if we continue to do all we can, Heavenly Father will bless us. Whether that means on the mission or after the mission I don't have the slightest idea, but I have trust in him.
p.s. So, this week was definitely "connections" week.
1. Well, I have loved the newfound penpalship (I'm coining that term right now) with the mother of an Elder I used to be in the same district as. She sent me the greatest talk this week about the enabling power of the atonement. It was such a blessing.
2. Got a random letter from a sister serving in my home stake who is a recent convert from Kingwood. So fun!
3. Received a request from my mother to visit the grandparents of an Elder currently serving in my ward. They were the sweetest.
4. Not sure if I mentioned this, but there's a family in the branch who used to attend both LB16th ward and LB7th ward. :) Hno Aguirre asked mee jokingly if I knew a "Pay Flores." He had found an old stake directory and saw my dad's name mentioned there.
All these things just help me to feel the love of my Father in Heaven and marvel at how intricate his plan truly is!
p.p.s. Just thought I'd hop on the #ldsconf twitter bandwagon. :]
With Love,
Hna Flores

Hna San Juan and I! :)
Just a cute little mickey mouse scripture countdown my mom sent me.
Meeting E. Mann's grandparents.
Family, though I couldn't be in the conference center with y'all I definitely had Subway in between sessions. My cheeks are stuffed with spicy-italian goodness.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a lovely little letter.