Monday, May 7, 2018

Graduation 2018

10 years after my high school graduation, I graduated with my JD/MPA from BYU! I now have three degrees behind me, which suffice it to say feels pretty crazy. 

For my undergrad, I only attended the commencement ceremony—honestly, my undergrad graduation didn't feel like that big of a deal, but rather felt like a pit stop along the path to where I actually wanted to end up. I think my nonchalant attitude with my undergrad graduation had everything to do with the fact that I had a mission call, and knew I'd be leaving in a few months only to return to BYU for more school afterwards. 

This time, I went to ALL THREE CEREMONIES (Commencement, Marriott School Convocation, Law School Convocation). The Law School ceremonies were a ticketed event, and because I'm Mexican, I had to request an additional 13 tickets on top of the 8 I'd been given 😅😅. And of course, in true Flores/Quesada family fashion, I had last minute requests the day before graduation and even had family members sneak backstage (TWICE) during the graduation ceremony. Have I told you how much I love being Mexican? 😂😂

 I painted my grad cap with a quote in tribute to the homegirl Gina Rodriguez (It's a nod to her golden globes acceptance speech). Technically, BYU doesn't allow you to paint your graduation caps, because "it's contrary to the dignity of the ceremonies and is inappropriate." But, technically, I didn't care. There was NO way I was going to pass up on the chance to be a part of the #latinxgradcaps movement, and definitely not when I'm the first Latina in over 10 years to graduate with a JD/MPA from BYU. 

Probably the best part of graduation was that I managed to keep it a secret to my entire family that I was speaking at the law school graduation. (I will post a copy of my address later for those who were unable to attend/are interested in reading). After the law school ceremony, my entire family came to the hotel where my parents were staying for (claro) a pizza party celebration + tres leches cake.  Thank you to the Hampton Inn & Suites Provo staff who let our large Mexican family take over your dining area to celebrate, your allowing us to do this was the icing on the cake of a really wonderful weekend! 

Sorry about the picture overload, but IT'S MY GRADUATION & I'LL POST IF I WANT TO!

Chloe & Jenna were the first lovely ladies I ran into at Commencement!
Nicole. I love this girl so much.
Everything I am is because of these two. Where would I be without Liz & Pay!?
Hermanos.
Walking the stage at the Marriott School Commencement Ceremonies. My dad got tired of waiting, so we ended up leaving shortly after my name had been read. #mexicansbelike 😂😂

Women of Color! We out here at BYU Law
With Prof. Steele, a true mentor & friend!
Janice (aka Janet), Emmanuelle, and I. 
Cami and I are both joint degree students. We started out together, but Cami got a JD/MBA instead of a JD/MPA. 
Everyone who came to my Law School graduation ceremonies. 😂

My prima Magos and her children.
The Flores side of the family. IDK where Kassie's looking.
Los hermanos Flores. 
Shoutout to Delipan bakery in Provo for making my beautiful tres leches cake!! ¡Se les agradezco muchismio!
P.S. Can someone please tell Gina Rodriguez that I want to have lunch with her!?!? Please, and thank you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a lovely little letter.