Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Faces: The Women who made me

My Faces series is a little project I started while living in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The project is a reflective and introspective exercise, a way to express my gratitude for individuals who have played a crucial role in my personal growth. In anticipation of graduation, I decided to highlight specifically the Women who were most influential to my growth during these last four years of graduate school at BYU.

These women have been my guiding light over the last four years, and I would not be the Woman I am today without their love, wisdom, and support

Alyssa D.
I honestly couldn't pinpoint for you the moment in time when Alyssa and I became friends. She's been present in my life for most of this experience. We met in the celestial corner of Provo known as the 97th ward, and because we had pretty solid mutual friends, I knew this friendship would be a win. Lys is the kind of friend who texts you when you least expect a text, but you need it the most. We haven't seen each other as much as I'd like since she moved to Lehi, but when we do see each other the conversation picks up as if we'd seen each other just the week before. Alyssa has the unique ability to validate your feelings, and help you work through the various paths and thoughts in your mind. I think her talent as an artist helps her to work through your life and visualize each step stroke by stroke. I am blessed to know her!

Amber R.
Amber is a storyteller of miracles—whether its miracles that take place in her life or the lives of others. I always leave her presence with a strengthened testimony in the truth that God is a God of miracles. One of my favorite things about Amber is how seamless she weaves stories of personal revelation into updates on her everyday life. Ever time I visit her she reaches a point where her retelling of an experience goes something like this: "I said, 'Hey, God. I'd really like to do this. But, then God said, 'No, Amber I think you should do this.'" I think what I admire most about Amber is her ability to take her passions and turn them into beautiful projects that greatly benefit all around her. Whether it's her extensive research into a Native American tribe that results in a beautiful play about the strength of Native Women, or her desire to learn how Women in the Church live the gospel of Jesus Christ that becomes the incredible Splitting the Sky YouTube series, or her latest endeavor an upcoming podcast for Mormon Women. By her strong example, Amber has taught me that I can continue to use my talents and create well after my formal education is completed.

Ashley P.
Ashley was the first woman I met on this list! I had this larger than life romanticized idea that I could work at the MTC as a Spanish teacher during my first year of law school—silly me! Ashley was the first person to interview me, and when I moved into my ward a few months later, I was surprised to find Ashley was my Relief Society president. Ashley has wisdom beyond her years and is one of the most poised women I know. She handles her challenges with such grace and calm collective; it's honestly inspiring. Being around Ashley makes you feel like everything is going to be all right in the world. She builds you up and shows genuine concern. I love gospel talks with Ashley—they're a reminder that we're all trying to figure out this thing called life. I especially have benefitted from our talks about balancing waiting on the Lord and acting in faith. Though the future is a mystery, talks with Ashley help me remember that with faith it will all work out.

Britney D.
There's no other way to put it: I met Britney by divine plan. I was sitting in my HR class my first year of the MPA program listening to a panel discussion. One of the panelists was a representative from Latinos in Action (LIA), a local non-profit whose mission is to help bridge the education gap with Latino students. I had previously looked up LIA and reached out to them my first year of law school, but nothing solid came from it. So, when one of their employees came to a panel, I jumped at the chance. I met Britney once I got to LIA, and I have gained so much wisdom from this friendship! Britney is incredible; she cares so much about the success of Latino students and is passionate about her work. We go out to lunch from time to time and talk about our dreams of building up our communities, the idea of eternal partnerships, the power of womanhood, and the fulfillment of prophecies in latter days. She has been my role model and an example that I can bring my passions to work. Also, random tidbit, turns out she was college roommates with Elisse (up next). I am constantly amazed by how like-minded women can find themselves in the same circles!

Elisse N.
I first met Elisse when we both independently decided to take Federal Indian Law. After hearing a few of her in-class comments, I knew we had to be friends. She worked as a public school teacher in New York City before coming to law school, and has a passion for making high quality education accessible to all. Halfway through law school, she decided she'd tack on a PhD in Education Policy (!!!!!). There was a semester where we literally took all of the same classes together, and it was probably the best semester of my law school career. Elisse is incredible, and the kind of super-mom I hope to someday be! Her two daughters are adorable and you just know they mean the world to her, and yet she still manages to balance motherhood with her devotion to making the community a better place. She's involved in ALL the things and is basically a role model for the kind of woman I want to be when I'm married. She's a true example that being a champion for your community does not need to be put on hold because of motherhood!

Emmanuelle V.
My beloved carrel-mate. We met a little late in the law school game, just before we took the Civil Rights Seminar course together, but we bonded quickly! I affectionately call her "Manny." Manny knew how to keep things real, and would be my go-to source for all things law school related wokeness. Because of Manny I can now proudly say I've experienced a full-fledged Catholic mass. Manny's been my number one hype girl in law school, nominating me for awards, and sending applications for jobs and fellowships my way. She reassures me that all will be well when times are tough, and she reminds me that I have the power to do great things. Even though she graduated a semester early, she still makes it a point to text and FaceTime me regularly. She hates avocados, but because I love her, I forgive her for it.

Jennafer R.
To most she's "Jenna," but to me she's Jennafer. Our friendship is one of the MANY reasons I'm so happy I audited Sociology 323. Jenna was the TA for the class, and we sat in the same vicinity and rejoiced when we found out we'd both gotten into the Civil Rights seminar. She's maybe the worst texter I've ever met—no, seriously. Yet, somehow she's an incredible snap chatter. No joke, she one time sent me a whopping 20 snapchats in a row. Jenna has an incredible way with words, and can articulate her feelings and beliefs in a way that leaves you feeling refreshed and uplifted. I recently converted her to the gospel of Gina Rodriguez and the genius of Jane the Virgin. We occasionally send each other "vent" texts when we just want to pop Provo's "colorblind" bubble. Knowing Jenna makes me a better human.

Lauren C.
Technically, Lauren and I should have become friends way back in 2012. We were in the same ward right before our missions, but I guess it just wasn't our time? God wasn't having it. We were put into the same ward post-mission. Lauren is the type of friend who will give you really meaningful compliments that let you know she loves and cares for you. My email has been blessed by many an insightful article or podcast episode Lauren has sent my way. Even if Lauren hasn't seen you in months, she'll go out of her way to tell you she misses you and will make solid plans to meet up, catch up on your life, and leave you feeling like there's so much good in the world! You will not find a more empathetic creature. She's an incredibly loyal friend and will shower you with love when you need it the most. Lauren is a piper & scoot expert, a master decorator, and a collector of beautiful cards. You'd be luck to have her in your corner!

Nicole I.
Nicole is the prime example of visiting teaching (RIP) gone right! We met in the 97th ward three years ago when I was assigned to be her visiting teacher, she later would become my 2nd counselor in the Relief Society Presidency, and now I'm lucky to call her my roommate. Nicole is the most service-oriented person I know. I've NEVER heard her complain about serving. Even when she's not feeling super well, I know that she'll put her whole heart into serving, sans any sort of complaint! Nicole pushes me out of my comfort zone whether its by encouraging me to talk to men I'm interested in or convincing me to sing a Selena song at a Dominican restaurant for Spanish karaoke. We watch Jane the Virgin and the occasional Law & Order: SVU episode together. Nicole is also the girl I can gush to about anything family history related, she's always down for family history research parties. She's been my number one way to escape the craziness of grad school and is always quick to rub my back when things get a little too stressful. I love this woman!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a lovely little letter.