Friday, August 3, 2012

Jane Eyre

As I'm writing this, the wind is blowing against my shutters in a very fitting Jane Eyre fashion.

I'd read Jane Eyre before (freshman year of high school), and yet all I remembered was that a) I hated it and b) there was a crazy woman locked up in a room who jumps to her fiery death. Honestly, my re-read felt like a first time adventure. Helen dies? She becomes rich? Mr. Rochester goes blind?

It was beautiful and at one point I felt like Mr. Rochester was talking directly to me with his whole, "people-will-tell-you-their-secrets-because-they-know-you're-not-big-into-talking-about-yourself" spiel. Also, how did I miss all the religion present the first time around If Miss Brontë was around in our day and age I'm for sure she would have been Mormon. With all her religious philosophies and her concepts of the hereafter, definitely. & oh what spunk Jane Eyre had! How much classier can you get than, "I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an independent will."

amen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a lovely little letter.