Monday, October 20, 2014

"homecoming" weekend.

So, technically it was homecoming weekend, 
but I've been so detached this year from all things BYU sports because of Law School, that it kind of didn't phase me.

But, I still had a "homecoming weekend" of sorts.
.
.
.
This is Jennifer Rogers.
My last companion.
She came home from T.H.E. mission this last Wednesday
& I cried my eyes out when I hugged her for the first time in 6 months. 
I got to the airport just a little bit early (as in I beat everyone in Jenny's family!) and kind of just waited for a bit by the vending machines. & then I saw President and Sister Crawford and ran over excitedly to hug them. They were dressed just as they would have been on the mission and it just made it all feel so right.

We then played the waiting game. First came E. Jones & E. Hooker, then Sis Barton, Sis Hunt, Sis Utley, and SIS ROGERS! It was such a normal sight to see them dressed as they were when I had last seen them all. It was like T.H.E mission realm had carried over to terminal 2 of the Salt Lake airport. I was so happy.

I couldn't help but cry as I saw all these little reunions taking place. The tears just sort of willed themselves into my eyes. I kind of just observed Jenny's mom as she saw Jenny come down the escalator—the look of love on her face warmed my heart, it was so priceless! I had seen all these missionaries just 7 months ago, but for their families, i'm sure felt like a lifetime.

When it finally came time for Jenny to give me a hug, I just lost it! I don't know if I can adequately describe all the emotions I was feeling in that moment it was one part, "I've missed talking to you!", one part "I love you so much," one part "we did this!" The rest was a mix of an unspoken understanding of all the memories we had together and the realization of just how special they all were. 

I did NOT want to leave that airport, 
but seeing as how I had class the next morning, I kind of had to.

On my drive home I was reminded of the verses in Alma 17 when Alma is reunited with the sons of Mosiah after their missions, "Alma did rejoice exceedingly to see his brethren; and what added more to his joy, they were still his brethren in the Lord; yea, and they had waxed strong in the knowledge of the truth."
I put a little homecoming gift if you will together for Jenny: pens, a journal that challenges you to do good deeds daily (perfect for a RM!), nail polish in a color we weren't allowed to wear on the mission, a relaxing candle (coming home is stressful), and a chocolate bar (we used to buy these chocolate bars anytime we would go to Tony's our favorite pizza place in LC!)
Jenny's mom made the cutest Texas shaped cookies, with Hearts over Houston.

Jenny rode in my car on the way to her house post homecoming talk and we definitely turned up the Lower Lights' "Calling You!" all the way up for our 3 minute car drive, it felt like nothing had changed—although, there was no Sis Johnson sitting in the back! :'( 

I'm beginning to think that these homecoming celebrations are going to be my new favorite things!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a lovely little letter.