Monday, January 27, 2014

twofold.

There are so many things I want to include in this email, but they are definite face-to-face type conversations. I'll summarize my lessons ingrained (I'd use the word "learn" but, they aren't things I really learned, just kind of reminded of...) with two stories. 

I finished my grad school application, but I've now started attacking my law school application. I had started applying before the mission, but it just didn't feel right. Applying on the mission to law school is tough, but it's also one of the smartest decisions I've been inspired to take. Last Monday, I took a look at all the paperwork-esque things that law school required and well, it was overwhelming. Tasks that would have been simple in the real world at that point seemed kind of impossible to me. I left emailing on Monday kind of feeling down. It didn't help that we were a little late to Pday activities and were rushing to finish shopping in our allotted Pday time. Before we left our apartment to work however, I simply knelt down in prayer and asked Heavenly Father to help me combat the stress. The funny thing about this whole applying to school things is that I'm not so much concerned about being admitted to law school as much as I am stressed about the applying process. I'm weird. I know. Deadlines just stress me, I've always been that annoying over-achiever who turns things in weeks before a deadline. Case in Point, I had all my classes planned out for college at the end of my first semester at BYU. 

I thought of my mejor amiga this week, because while she thrives in 11th hour type situations, I live through 11 hours of stress. My prayer however was answered! On Saturday I was able to pay for my application fees and was able to feel peace about all of it. Everything seemed to come to me so quickly and naturally, to where now all I have to worry about is obtaining Letters of Recommendation. :) In my hours of personal study this week, I reread D&C 122 and took comfort at these words, "Know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good." (v.7)

What does applying to school have to do with missionary work? Not much! But, I know that Heavenly Father knew that only on my mission would I have been able to deal with the stress of applying. He is wiser than us all!

Second story.
We're currently reading the Acts as a mission and this past week we read Acts 9. Acts 9 basically tells the story of the conversion of Paul. I love how in this chapter we see different vantage points of the same story. The Lord speaking to Ananias, "...enquire in the house of Judas for one called Saul, of Tarsus: for, behold, he prayeth." So simple, but so powerful, the Lord answering Saul's prayer by inspiring another man. I found this quote from President Spencer W. Kimball that explains more what I am trying to get at: "God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs." 

This week we started teaching a girl who i'll call Andrea. Andrea is from Southern California and is a freshman/athlete at McNeese State University here in Lake Charles. We received Andrea's information from the referral system, she was being taught over winter break in California. Andrea's boyfriend is actually a member of the church. We were able to get in touch with and speak with the missionaries who were teaching Andrea in California, and it was such a testimony building experience for me to piece together all the pieces of the puzzle to speak with missionaries who had been working with her before. The Lord's plan is so perfect. Andrea actually came to church this Sunday and we have a lesson with her tonight as well!

In other news, we have started teaching Bro. Ortiz's father. (IT FEELS SO GOOD TO TEACH IN SPANISH! I secretly/ not so secretly want to attend the Spanish ward when I go home!) Dionicio (Bro. Ortiz Sr.) has been accepting everything we teach him, the only issue is the language barrier, our stake president suggested however, that we speak with the ward about organizing a Spanish Sunday school class so that he can partly hear the gospel in his own language. 

Things are picking up here, and we have been blessed for our diligence and our obedience. I love this gospel with all my heart and all of you!

Love, 
Sis Flores


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a lovely little letter.