Wednesday, March 12, 2014

embrace it.

I had a sleepover at the mission home this week. Sisters Larsen, Conder, and I had to head up to Kingwood Monday night in order to make it to MLC the next morning. It was just so nice to quietly sit on an armchair basking in the spirit, writing in my journal in the wee hours of Tuesday morning. MLC was all about improving. I just felt so grateful to be a part of it all. Zone by zone presented ideas that they had and things they had implemented to hasten the work. We were gathered to see how we can improve on finding God's elect, finding and teaching those whom the Lord has prepared. 

Speaking of prepared people. 
This week we taught a woman named *Rosa. Rosa became SUPER interested after we came into her home and explained that the Book of Mormon was another testament of Jesus Christ written by prophets here in the ancient Americas. Rosa was raised Catholic, but doesn't ascribe to any particular religion. We had left her with a Book of Mormon after our first meeting and she was so eager to discuss it and learn more of it's origin. We shared with her Ezek 37:19 and how the Book of Mormon is a fulfillment of that prophecy. Rosa already believes that this land is for the posterity of Joseph and she had a dropped jaw as we explained that Christ has personally come to visit the people here in the Americas. She kept exclaiming high-pitched but drawn out, "yeah!" and gasps every now and then. 

We saw Andrea again this week. Twice! We met her boyfriend. She is progressing so well, and this week we're hoping to set that baptismal date of April 19th. Probably the highlight of this week with Andrea is that she sent us a text asking if we would choose a scripture verse for her to write out on her arm for her games this weekend. We went for the classic: 

"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."Alma 26:12

We have been visiting Bro. Ortiz Sr everyday this week, but short 15 min visits helping him to better understand what we have already taught. In weekly planning we thought we'd focus on teaching him towards the baptismal interview questions however, as the week progressed on we realized that really, we simply needed to use the Book of Mormon to help him understand who God is, who Jesus Christ is. We need to use the Book of Mormon to help him become converted to the gospel.

I presented on a similar topic in Zone Mtg. The Zone leaders asked if I would give 20min presentations on personal study. Personal study is quite possibly my favorite aspect of missionary work. I definitely get on my own personal soapbox from time to time testifying of the blessings of a good personal study. :) I have such a testimony that it is through the use of scriptures that we are able to have success. 

I found this scripture at the start of my mission, but it has been the driving force for my personal studies.
"Yea, I say unto you, were it not for these things that these records do contain, which are on these plates, Ammon and his brethren could not have convinced so many thousands of the Lamanites of the incorrect tradition of their fathers; yea, these records and their words brought them unto repentance; that is, they brought them to the knowledge of the Lord their God, and to rejoice in Jesus Christ their Redeemer.
And who knoweth but what they will be the means of bringing many thousands of them..." Alma 37:9-10

I am so full. I am so happy. I am overjoyed with my mission. I am thrilled by the idea that in a matter of days I can go home and apply to my life all that I have learned in the past 18 months (&then some). I have such a testimony of the Lord's timing. I was rereading my pre-mission journals and got teary-eyed reading all the trouble I had to go through to get my mission papers turned in. I kept saying, "there's got to be some kind of reason for my mission papers getting delayed!" I know firmly that I came out exactly when I needed to, to be companions with the hnas/sisters that I have. The Lord's timing is so perfect! I also have such a testimony that March 19th is the day I'm supposed to go home. I openly embrace that reality. 

Thank you to each of you who have prayed for me, who have served with me, who have helped me these past 18 months. I love each and everyone of you!

Te amo!
Sis Flores

MLC roadtrip!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a lovely little letter.