Monday, March 3, 2014

:]

I got to see my beloved Baytown again this week! Although of COURSE while I was serving in Baytown we had to drive 100 mi to get to sisters training in Beaumont, and this time I had to drive 240mi round trip to get to sisters training in Baytown. Oh, and we were still under miles. Huzzah. I realize that the above paragraph is strictly a #statesidemissionaryproblem, but I'm sure someone will appreciate it. 

It was SO amazing to see how many sisters there are now in the mission. My first sisters training I believe there were about 20 of us and we fit into one room in the Kingwood chapel. I feel so spoiled because not only have I been able to see "Mama Rosie" from Broadway 3, but I saw almost all of my favorite members from the branch in Baytown since they served the lunch for sisters training. 

I am thoroughly convinced that we have some of the best investigators here in Lake Charles. For example, Andrea. Love her. Weirdly, sports teams here are super religious. Apparently everyone on her team writes scriptures on their arms to motivate them during games. Andrea chose the following verse to write on her arm:

"But it came to pass that I prayed unto the Lord, saying: O Lord, according to my faith which is in thee, wilt thou deliver me from the hands of my brethren; yea, even give me strength that I may burst these bands with which I am bound." 1 Nephi 7:17

We love her. 
She readily accepted the Word of Wisdom and we've seen her testimony grow. Now if we can just get her a solid baptismal date I will be a happy sister missionary. 

The Myers family. 
They are just never going to not come to church again. They are now super involved and the ward members have just completely reached out to them, we're talking sleepovers, baptism invitations, ward party assignments, the works. Am I sad not to be here for the baptism, somewhat. But as I sat next to them this Sunday at church I just felt so happy. So grateful that I got to be a part of their journey back to church. What I was feeling on Sunday went so perfectly with what our Stake President said over the pulpit this week. As is to be expected everyone who bore their testimony spoke about the support and love they felt from their "ward family" our Stake President later got up to say, "If this is really your family, then make this home." I just loved that. The chapel, the ward is home. Some of my happiest memories have been at that "home" whether it's been my home located in North Long Beach or my home located in downtown Cerritos. My ward is my home. There's a reason we call them Home Wards...

Lastly, just want to leave you with a hilarious update from Richard the less-active we've been working with. He texted us Sunday before church to let us know that he had read his assigned three chapters in the Book of Mormon that we had assigned him and that he was excited to see us on Wednesday. We texted back Richard, are you coming to church today? He said, "I'm on my way to (insert his current non-denom church)... To that 'great and spacious building'." So hilarious. The thing is he KNOWS. We just need to help him take that first step back to church. 

Also, this week I went on exchanges with the sisters in Vidor, TX. Okay, literally I've been pretty much everywhere in the mission. All across it. Highlights of the exchange. Well, may or may not have met a man who told us we were going to hell. (It's only the second time in my mission that that's happened, first was with Hna Maughan. Remember that time?) Also met a family who mostly just wanted to Bible Bash. Colorful exchange, but you just have to love all of it!

I know I say this a whole lot. But I sure do love my mission!
& y'all! Te amos!
Sis Flores

posterity pictures. So classic. My lil mission family tree. :)
Okay, can you appreciate the cleverness of the whole, "Give your old cell phone a new calling" ? Missionary humor. I know, we're cheesy.
Ricky's burgers!!!
ALL THE SISTERS IN THE MISSION!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a lovely little letter.