Friday, July 24, 2015



I've always been a proponent of REALtalk. 

High up on my list of pet peeves is the meet-a-new-person-ritual of question asking that we all inevitably engage in though not necessarily caring about the answers that result: 'what's your major?', 'where are you from?', 'where did you serve your mission?' I understand the need to establish the foundation, but it irks me when conversations jump straight from the standard whos, whats, and wheres skipping straight over the 'whys' and landing somewhere in the realms of small-talk weather forecasting. 
These are the things that ail me in life. 

A few weeks ago, I was lounging on the nice snug brown couch in my apartment during a lunch break from work when out of a google session concerning a certain British celebrity came the birth of a beautiful idea—Facesof97.

I honestly believe that there is no such thing as a boring person. 
There are only boring questions that make people look boring. 

It was my love of storytelling that led me to become a Journalism (News Media & Design) major in my undergrad years. I'm a people person...I love them/us! If there's anything I learned during my years as a undergrad, it's that a few good questions change 
| e v e r y t h i n g |

So while seated on this brown couch I thought, what if I asked people in my ward really REALLY good questions and filmed their responses, but edited out my question asking. BOOM. That person suddenly becomes the most interesting person in the ward, & two things will naturally follow 1) other wardians will want to get to know them, 2) they'll have something awesome to talk about. This idea literally CONSUMED me and I recruited my friends Lauren Christiansen and Arielle Nelson to join me on this endeavor. 
best.
idea.
ever.

Lauren & I developed a(n everygrowing) list of questions one day after breakfast, ran them over with our friend Kelly, and then coordinated with Arielle. We film two videos every Sunday and then post the videos on our youtube channel/our ward FB page every Wednesday like clockwork. I can honestly say that I am so proud of this little project: if anything it's helped me to recognize what a beautiful gift personalities are!
The interviews are RAW.
No one gets to know the questions they'll be asked beforehand.
& that mis queridos is personality perfection.

1 comments:

Rachel said...

Okay.
1. I love this.
2. It definitely made me cry.
3. I want to be friends with all these people.
4. I facebook stalked some of them.
5. Can I plzzz be a guest star? My car has an interesting name and I would drop a killer 15-second rap.
6. To be honest, at first I was hoping the 97 was referring to 1997.
7. kbye.

Post a Comment

Leave a lovely little letter.