Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Reason #1 why i love being from the hood: Slang

I've said many times, Jay-Z is my fav. rapper; east coast I know.
For my final project for Usage, I made a dictionary on Jay-Z terminology.

Here are some of my favs.
If you're lucky enough to hear me talking with my friends from back home,
guarantee I'll use them in speech. hands down.

I can be hood when I need to.

Fade
def: v. to disgrace
ex: Those people can't fade me.

Puttin' it down
def: v. to do what needs to be done at any given moment, to do the right thing at the right time.
ex: I put it down for the homies.

Dimes
def: n. a super attractive female, originated from the phrase, "she's a perfect 10."
ex: That girl is a dime.

Clockin'
def: v. to keep track of
ex: I'm clockin' the Lakers game tonight.

Frontin' ♥ ♥ ♥
def: v. to put on a false disguise, usually to impress others
ex: Why you frontin'? We all know you live with your Mama.

Get at
def: v. To check something out; This phrase is usually used when one is bragging about something; synonym for "hit up."
ex: Y'all should get at this rap.



consider yourselves educated.

All of my ,
Lauren

p.s. can you tell which one's my favorite?

1 comments:

Li-Sha said...

thank you lauren. i can't wait to go to compton to use this new vocabulary:)

Post a Comment

Leave a lovely little letter.